Tuesday, July 17, 2018

SMITH SUMMER ROAD TRIP No. 1!!!! The first!!! Utah to Casper

We left on a Saturday in early June. We were READY for anything!!! The car was packed full of camping gear, food, supplies, tons of books, and everything else we would need for a gigantic incredible cross country road trip for a family of 5!!
We dropped Dottie Dot off at the Kitty Hotel,  and headed OUT OF TOWN. 

The point of this trip for us was to bond as a family, to experience new things and places, and most importantly to visit family and friends we hadn't seen in many years. This trip was FULL of cousins of all ages, catching up, building relationships, and instilling in our children our love of travel, new cultures and peoples, and love of finding beauty in and gratitude for all of God's creations. The kids did amazing. Collin and I only had 1 argument!!!!! And we all learned so much about each other and about our beautiful country!!!!



 



We crossed over into our first new state of many: Wyoming. We planned to stop every 2 hours and visit parks and splashpads and cool places along the way to stretch our legs and get out energy. It was so cool to see so many different areas, landscapes, and types of people. Wyoming was a big, wide desert.

 

The old Wyoming State prison in Rawlings, WY. It was the State Prison for 80 years before it was closed down in 1981. It's now a landmark and museum. When we got there it was about to close and they told us we can wonder around and that they would kick us out in 10 minutes.  

 

A lot of crazy bad stuff went down in there and there were a lot of weird and scary vibes.


Strange characters....


There are guided tours of the ACTUAL cell block...but they were done for the day...yet after pushing through a mysterious curtain...we found ourselves there...
Now this was one of the top most intensely terrifying moments of my life. I was stiff with fear. Collin and the girls peaced out right away. Fred and I held each other in terror, his eyes were closed, and I held to him, scared but fascinated at the sights in front of me....





 

This was all real. SO REAL. You could feel the evil that had happened there.


Inside solitary confinement.....I heard soft whispering voices inside when we opened the door!!!!! It was so so so crazy, but then I realized it was the last tour guide and her group. She was certainly surprised to see us.



masks made from egg shells and egg cartons by one inmate

ENOUGH OF THAT! Wyoming was beautiful and windy. We stopped and Hattie and I explored. She was playing and I was looking for pretty rocks.


We got to Casper, set up camp, played at an awesome playground, explored around Fort. Casper, which was on the Oregon Trail.
v 

 
 








The next morning....Ella ate strawberries...


And I went running. It was early. The sun was rising higher and I found myself walking around an area that reminded me of my childhood and early adolescence in Las Vegas, Nevada. I ended up recording some thoughts I'd been having. One of those was about my hobbies and habits as a kid. I was shy. I lacked confidence. I didn't really participate in sports or put myself out there for many things. I've always looked at that as a regret. But...this day when I was feeling the warm sun on my skin, wondering through a desert area with mattresses and old cabinets in the middle of no where, I remembered my secret spot as a kid. It was in the middle of the desert and had a bunch of junky abandoned furniture. I played there. I pretended I lived there. I went there with friends, with my brothers, on my own. I caught horny toads. I could be in my own world. I was reminded of long walks home from the bus stop on dirt roads. Playing with the kids in the cul de sac. Making up games together. Exploring our yard and visiting our crazy neighbors. It was like from a movie. One neighbor had tigers and cheetahs as pets. She gave me a beautiful stuffed carousel unicorn for my birthday one year, passing it over the back wall that separated our yards. I look back at those days fondly. I had a wonderful childhood. Had it been bogged down with activities and sports and lessons...rushing in the car from one place to the next...I might not have had the time to imagine and play and be a child. I might not be the me I am today. And I really love myself and my life and the experiences I've had. I want to give opportunity for some of this to my children. 

 

 


I got back to camp as my sweet family was eating cereal for breakfast. I joined them and then we all attended church together. It was a really good sacrament meeting. This one woman spoke and it really changed me. Then the bishop encouraged everyone to go listen to President Nelson's fireside if we hadn't already. After church we got back in the car, downloaded it and listened to it on the road.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet. But I'm sorry that I didn't help you gain more confidence. I went through the same thing as a young person myself. You found your voice and have great confidence now so I'm proud of you. What an amazing trip you enjoyed together as a family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete