Monday, September 12, 2011

Bells Palsy



Yesterday Collin and I were asked to speak in church! I am always nervous to do this, but this time especially because last Thursday I woke up with Bells Palsy and I can't move the muscles on the right side of my face. Basically, my right facial nerve got swollen and is pinched. It is horrible. It's frustrating and quite embarrassing. It's hard to eat and speak and brush my teeth and my face is sore. It's so new and I have to learn to deal with it for now. It's temporary, hopefully, and can last anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months... :( You can read more about it here, if you want. 

I was going to call and get out of speaking in church. I was even going to stay home and never show my face again, but as I prayed about it and asked my Heavenly Father what I should do, I kept getting, yeah, you can stay home if you want, but think of the courage and accomplishment you'll experience if you do it! No one will hate you! You will learn and grow so much. Well, I did it. I stood up and gave my talk, but first made a big joke about it and got everyone laughing. I told them to try to bear with me and not to make too much fun of me. I showed that I'm about to have a baby any day by giving them my big huge profile, and got more laughs. It didn't get easier though. I spoke for about 15 minutes and the whole time could hear myself mispronouncing words (F and P is especially hard!!!) feel my face contorted and wrong. But the spirit was there, and I made it through. I did it. 

I also felt so much comfort that Collin was there with me. He gave an excellent talk. And my mom and dad and Joseph came, which gave me so much support and encouragement. 

Afterward a lot of people thanked me and even said they wanted to be my friend!! Quite a few women said that they had had Bells Palsy and gave me comfort and made me feel not so strange. I'm sure some think I'm a big weirdo, but I know I made the right choice, and I'm glad I did it. Now I'll have that baby any time, thank you, and hopefully recover from this. It still isn't easy and I kind of don't want to leave the house. But it gives me a whole new perspective. I don't think I'll complain the next time I'm asked to speak. And so many have it so much worse than me. But this is a big challenge for me, and I know it will make me a better person.

Something else I really learned this week: I am here, HERE. for a reason.  I kept missing DC and wishing I were there and being happy for Collin that he's so happy at work, but feeling like I'm just here for him. But SO many blessings are coming from being here. God knows the bigger picture. He knows me and what I need. 

So there's my sappy story. :) Here are some pictures. Joe's football game Sat. 


Another blow out. They called the game at 60-something to zero.



embarrassed her. happy birthday song!







extra-large is right. 39 weeks pregnant.

2 comments:

  1. 1. DC misses you but i'm also jealous you're out west and close to family. so you have that on me.

    2. 3 weeks to 6 months?! sorry, but i think that's good! in my ignorance, i didn't know if it would go away at all. so i think that's good news.

    3. extra-large? MAYBE large, but not XL. you look awesome. soooo close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any day now! Such excitement... and calm. Do you feel a calm before the "storm"? I think you look great! Love the stripes!

    I'm sure that everyone was edified by your talk. Even if you hadn't had bells palsy and said all your Fs and Ps correctly, it wouldn't have made a difference because what's most important is that I know you spoke WITH AND THROUGH THE SPIRIT, so everyone was touched and heard your inspired words in their hearts. I know it.

    Hugs. Keep me updated as baby nears!

    And p.s. sorry I didn't get back to you. Marc said basically the same that I told you about Bell's Palsy. No treatment, especially right now if you are so near giving birth. Hang in there dear!

    ReplyDelete