Friday, January 20, 2012

The funeral


The reason for our trip to Utah: my mom's Uncle Robert's funeral. 
It was really quite nice. His wife, Aunt Helen, died just 8 weeks ago.
They were both well into their eighties, and it's sweet to think of them together on the other side. 

Attending Great-Aunt Rosalie's funeral last month, and then Great-Uncle Robert's funeral this got me thinking. Last time I knew half of the people in the room. This time close to none. But they are my family. How sad it that? That the first time I go out of my way to get to know them, is because someone has died. I made a pact with myself right then and there that I want my son to know his family. I want to make family a priority. I want to do whatever it takes to always go to family reunions and get-togethers, to support my family, no matter how distant they might be.  I'm grateful that my mom always made family a prioritry. 
It's finally sinking in, mom.











My mom with her grandparents




Incredible military service. So moving.





His 6 children


Fred was cold!

eating my face?



2 comments:

  1. Love your insight and you have always supported me in going to reunions and visiting w/ family. This made me cry (a happy cry). love you MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freddie is soo cute

    Ete

    ReplyDelete